29 October 2017

Finnish connection

By Jaana Seitovirta, MNSc, early stage researcher in the Department of Nursing Science, University of Eastern Finland, Kuopio

Jaana Seitovirta
Friday, 27 October: After a long flight from Finland, I am sitting alone in a shuttle coming from the airport. As we approach downtown Indianapolis, the driver observes, “You see, everything happens here in downtown all the time” and shows me a big advertisement announcing the 44th Biennial Convention of Sigma Theta Tau International.

I was proud to tell him that I am one of the participants who will be enjoying, together with many others, this impressive international convention. Yes, and as I’ve seen since arriving, here are more than 1,000 oral, symposia, and poster presentations, as well as potential connections with many international colleagues.


I received an email informing me that I could register on Friday and pick up a packet of convention materials. That’s a good idea to have evening registration available, I thought. So, at 6 p.m. Friday, I was walking through the “skywalk” toward the JW Marriott to register in advance of the rush. Along the way, I saw people carrying nice, blue STTI bags, and I knew I was walking in the right direction.


At the registration desk, I found self-service kiosks for quick, efficient badge printing. Perfect—I got my own packet! At that moment, I saw a happy, smiling face. It was Kristy Crowell, a member of the Sigma staff, waving hello to me, and I immediately felt welcomed to the convention.


Saturday, 28 October: For me, everything is so exiting! I was on the go early because 
I wanted to view my preloaded presentations in the Presenter Ready Room.


Next, I needed to find the Grand Ballroom for the opening plenary session. Maybe I appeared to be lost or needing some support, because that was when I experienced Sigma’s Hoosier hospitality. Patricia Thompson, chief executive officer of the honor society, came to say hello and welcome me. I told her I was looking for the opening plenary keynote session. With a gentle and motherly demeanor, she guided me to the third floor and the Grand Ballroom. Somebody near me commented, “She’s a treasure.” I agree!

It’s almost time to officially open the convention, and electricity is in the air. Together, we are stronger!