29 October 2017

Connecting nurses around the world

By Jordan Tovera Salvador, PhD, RN, assistant professor, Department of Nursing Education, College of Nursing, Imam Abdulrahman Bin Faisal University, Saudi Arabia


Jordan Salvador
Attending the Biennial Convention is an amazing occasion for nurses from around the world to meet and share their wonderful experiences and best practices in nursing education, practice, and research. The convention offers a lot of opportunities for current Sigma nurse leaders to advance in their professional careers while providing stimulating “student engagement” sessions that give those just beginning their leadership journeys ideas on how to make good career choices.

As a graduating PhD student in nursing education from Saint Paul University Manila in the Philippines, I personally witnessed this. I have seen in the eyes of Sigma members the fire of passion as, motivated by our president’s call for influence through action, they seek to advance global health, nursing, and midwifery.

It's colder in Indianapolis than in Saudi Arabia!
As a young nurse leader, I realize that helping other nurses will be one of the greatest achievements of my life. Through philanthropy, we can make a huge difference in the lives of nurses around the world, especially those who have the capacity to be catalysts for change but have no means to fund their attendance at international conventions. As a past recipient of an Edith Anderson Educational Grant, I learned that one way to encourage donations was to share my story. Click here to read it in RNL.

Yesterday, when I visited the kiosk of the Sigma Foundation for Nursing, honor society members and staff greeted me with welcoming smiles as they thanked me for sharing my story. I felt like a Rising Star! I didn’t imagine that telling my story would help the foundation raise awareness and funds for future nursing scholars. I was given a badge identifying me as a nurse philanthropist. Now, I am giving back what Sigma has taught me—“sharing is human caring.” Seeing the joy and excitement of the new scholars motivates me to donate more for this wonderful initiative by the Sigma Foundation for Nursing.


Left: Mohammed Darawad and Jordan Salvador
Center: Salvador with Rose Constantino and Pearl Ed Cuevas
Right: President Catrambone with Salvador