29 October 2017

Maximizing connections

By Megan Lippe, PhD, RN, assistant professor at The University of Alabama Capstone College of Nursing in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA.

Megan Lippe
This year marks my third attendance at the Biennial Convention. As I traveled to Indianapolis, I found myself reflecting on the wonderful connections I have made with colleagues from around the world at past conventions. I wondered who I would see as I attended plenary addresses, concurrent sessions, exhibits, and the Foundation booth. Many of these colleagues have shaped who I have become as a nurse, scholar, educator, and servant-leader. Yet, with the gathering’s more than 2,000 attendees, I wondered how I would find my friends among the masses. I wondered if these colleagues would remember me, too, after the passage of years.

Upon arriving, I checked into registration, eagerly anticipating the convention’s scheduled events. As I ventured to my first event, I searched the masses for familiar faces. Within minutes, I began to see many colleagues I recognized. I reconnected with staff members from Sigma who have been instrumental in connecting me to leadership and service opportunities within the organization. Finally, I am able to connect a face with a name for the many staff members with whom I have conversed via The Circle website.

Serendipitously, I found colleagues I met at prior conventions and discussed events from the intervening years. I rejoiced at being able to reconnect with friends from my time as a nursing student. The warm embraces and joyous greetings reaffirmed why I love this organization. Even as Sigma grows its membership around the world, its members continue to enjoy close-knit community. We share similar vision for how nursing can impact the world through scholarship, leadership, and service. We embrace the society’s name, which stands for love, courage, and honor. We have a passion for advancing nursing’s presence on the global stage. We value the importance of connectedness and community.

As my first day at the Biennial Convention ended, I sat in quiet reflection, grateful for the day. Not only am I thankful for reconnecting with dear friends, but I celebrate newly formed relationships. I am eager to continue to meet new people and reconnect with colleagues. If you see me in the masses, I hope you will stop me and say hi.